Tuesday, December 11, 2007

How is it December?

So, it has been nearly a month since I've updated things. Sorry the blog thing hasn't quite worked for me, although many of you many not be surprised. I will likely communicate mostly through snail mail. If there are topics you'd like me to address in them, post them here or write me. I now have a local PO box for letters:
Ashley Beavers
U.S. Peace Corps
PO Box 11
New Longoro
via Wenchi - Brong Ahafo
Ghana, West Africa

Also, if you have sent email to ashley.beavers@alumni.fandm.edu in the last several weeks there is a good chance I didn't get it. I am no longer able to log into that account. For email correspondance, please email beaversinghana@gmail.com. I will probably check email once a month, if that, when I travel to a larger city for market days or for buisness.

I'm officially now a volunteer and have been at my site for a little more than a week. I'm still getting settled. I've started (slowly) learning the local language - Mo. Some people do speak Twi, but more speak Mo. I'll find a tutor in the next few weeks. For now, I spend my days sitting with my supervisor and/or counterpart, chatting about various things and then spending some time each day trying to meet folks in the community, and then trying to figure out what to do with my place....will I paint, what furniture, if any, will I get...do I get a propane stove or should I use a coal pot? We had our first Habitat meeting on Friday so they now know I'm in town and ready to help. How I will do so remains somewhat up in the air, but I'll find a way. Technically I won't be able to teach these folks how to grow their yams better, but I can introduce them to a few things they may not know about -- basic permaculture, green fertilizers, some different crop varieties, growing mushrooms, rearing rabbits, or grasscutters and/or a few of the other things we discussed in training. As I see it, I basically be a resource to find answers for them, do a little education and connect them with other local resources. PC makes it clear that I'm to help them do, not it for them. I'm sure I'll be learning more than those I'm helping. So, we'll see how it goes. I'm still adjusting to not having lights at night, the lack of available produce and some other things, but so far so good. Two years is a long time, but only 101 more weeks to go and the first week was pretty good. It's hard to think that it is mid-December, cold back home and folks gearing up for the holidays. I wish you and yours a great one. I'll be thinking of you.
As always, thanks for your interest in what I've been up to.

No comments: